REPORTS TO: Head of Social Enterprise & Employment Support
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm (+ occasional evenings/weekends).
Renumeration: £28,350 – £29,700 (negotiable dependent on experience).
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Dacorum (multiple locations, ability to travel independently essential).
Our aim is to be the first port of call for people in Dacorum who are facing homelessness, poverty and social exclusion; to support and empower them to take the next positive step in their lives.
We are searching for an experienced Employment Advisor or Coach to join our Social Enterprise team. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a dynamic team providing careers guidance and skills building to DENS clients and the wider community. In this varied role, you will be liaising with other teams within DENS and relevant external organisations, supporting a diverse caseload of clients using a coaching approach, and working with our social enterprise managers to facilitate training and work experience for clients at our Bike Project and Café.
The successful candidate will be a team player with experience of providing employment and benefit related advice and guidance to vulnerable clients with complex needs. You will be a confident self starter with a track record of successfully managing a caseload, liaising with internal and external stakeholders to facilitate meaningful opportunities for clients, and supporting people into training, volunteering and employment.
- To work in collaboration with other teams within DENS and external stakeholders to promote the service and generate referrals.
- To support a caseload of DENS clients to improve their employment prospects through meaningful training and work experience opportunities, including at DENS social enterprise projects.
- To meet KPIs and effectively report qualitative and quantitative data to management and funders.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Liaising with DENS colleagues and external organisations to promote the support available and generate referrals.
- Meeting with clients to complete initial assessments and agree goals & action plans.
- Liaising with our Social Enterprise managers to organise work experience for clients at The Bike Project and Café.
- Managing a caseload of clients, providing guidance on employment & skills, advice on benefit entitlement, and information regarding suitable opportunities for progression.
- Networking with external organisations to source meaningful activities for clients which will help them build confidence and develop skills for work.
- Working to targets, keeping accurate records of interactions and outcomes and reporting on progress to management and funders.
- Developing and maintaining effective working relationships, collaborating with all staff and volunteers and working together to achieve the DENS aims and organisational strategy.
This role involves traveling between locations across Dacorum and you may be required to transport clients to different locations. Therefore, a full, current driving licence and access to a car is essential. We take the safeguarding of our clients seriously and as such this role is subject to a DBS check.
You will be working effectively and flexibly as part of a busy team. This list of tasks and responsibilities is not exhaustive, and the Post Holder may be required to undertake other duties as required by their Line Manager.
Person Specification – Employment & Skills Coach
|Education & Training
|· An ERS or IAG qualification, or willingness to work towards
|Knowledge & Experience
|· An understanding of the barriers to employment people may face and strategies to overcome these
· Knowledge of the welfare benefit system including UC and legacy benefits and how entitlement is affected by paid work
· Experience of providing advice and support around employment and skills
· Experience of supporting vulnerable people who have complex needs
· Experience of working to and achieving KPIs and accurately reporting quantitative and qualitative data
· Experience of managing a caseload
· Experience of liaising with a range of organisations, to secure opportunities for clients
· Understanding of the principles of a quality and customer-focused service
|· An understanding of the issues facing people experiencing homelessness
|Skills & Abilities
|· Ability to work well under pressure and deal with potentially challenging people and situations
· Proven ability to empower and motivate clients to help themselves
· Self-motivated and can manage time effectively; prioritising work according to needs and deadlines
· IT literate, confident using Microsoft programmes, email and the internet
|· People person & a natural team player
· Caring & considerate
- 25 days annual leave + bank holidays
- Health cash plan including Virtual GP access, dental & optical cover
- Employee assistance programme – 24/7 advice/support helpline & access to counselling
- Professional development and training
- Staff wellbeing days and team building activities
- NEST pension scheme
How to apply
- Please read the full Job Description & Personal Specification
- Send your CV and answers to the application questions to HR@dens.org.uk (answers should be no longer than 300 words)
- What does good caseload management look like to you, and how do you achieve it?
- Give an example of a time you have used action planning/coaching to support someone with complex needs to achieve an employment related goal?
- How would you motivate someone to return to work who thinks they will be financially worse off by doing so?
Please advise us should you require adjustments to be made to the recruitment process
For an informal chat about the role, please contact Jocelyn Garner on 07425830420
Find out more about DENS at www.dens.org.uk